We're committed to serving those who've served our country through educational assistance from the Veterans Administration (VA).

Veterans 10% Tuition Discount

We're proud to recognize those actively serving, our Veterans, and their families. We offer spouses and dependent children of Veteran's a 10% tuition discount on all of our programs. Excludes 100% Chapter 33 and Chapter 31 recipients. 
Proof of Military Status Required: We accept LES (Leave and Earnings Statement—for active duty service) or Copy of DD214 (for Veterans).

Download Columbia College Veterans and Tuition Assistance Admissions Policies

VA Online Application system

Covered Programs

Chapter 30 Montgomery G.I. Bill® – Active Duty

Provides up to 36 months of educational benefits. To be eligible, students must have received an Honorable discharge.

Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation for Veterans with Service-Connected Disabilities

Veterans may be eligible for benefits if they have a service-connected disability of 20% and have received a discharge that is other than dishonorable. 

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 G.I. Bill®

Individuals who have served for a minimum of 90 days on active duty after September 10, 2001, are generally eligible. Students eligible for this benefit receive a percentage for tuition, fees, monthly housing allowance, and book stipend based on their aggregate active duty. 

Chapter 35 Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program

A child or spouse of a veteran may qualify for assistance if the veteran died on active duty, has become permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, has died of a service-related disability, or is listed as a prisoner of war or missing in action. Please be advised that this entitlement does not pay for tuition.

Chapter 1606 Montgomery G.I. Bill® – Selected Reserve

Individuals who have committed for six years to the Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, and Air National Guard and have satisfactorily completed the Selected Reserve Training may be eligible. 

Checklist for Getting Benefits

  1. Apply online. Complete the VONAPP application for education benefits.
  2. The VA will process your application and forward a Certification of Eligibility to the veteran student. This letter will show the percentage of benefit and the delimiting date.
  3. Submit the Certificate of Eligibility to your School Certifying Official (SCO), Tosh Greathree.
  4. Enroll in classes.
  5. Complete the Columbia College form: Benefits Request Form
  6. Complete the Columbia College Student Information Request
  7. Enrollment information will be reported to the VA, and payment will be issued.
  8. To follow up on payment status or find out where your payment is, please call the VA directly at 1-888-442-4551.

The SCO can only certify your enrollment when you have completed the application process and registered for classes. You may only register for classes that apply credit toward graduation in your chosen major/curriculum.

Federal Tuition Assistance

1. Complete Forms Required by Your Branch

Each branch of the military handles Tuition Assistance a little differently. 

  • Army: GoArmyEd to register for courses and have Tuition Assistance applied.
  • Air Force: Register through UMGC and then apply for Tuition Assistance through the Air Force Virtual Education Center.
  • Coast Guard, Navy, or Marine Corps: Contact your Education Center to request a tuition assistance form.

2. Send Your Forms to Us

Once you have the tuition assistance form signed by your education coordinator, submit it at the time of registration using the following procedures:

  1. Complete the Student Information Sheet
  2. Email your tuition assistance form and Complete the Student Information Sheet to CCVA@mmmukg.com

Please allow 48 hours for your student account to be updated. After your tuition assistance form is posted to your student account, the amount assumed by the agency is deferred to the agency account. No exchange of money has taken place at this time. Columbia College reserves the right to reinstate all unpaid tuition assistance invoices back to your student account. You are ultimately responsible for all charges.

Tuition assistance forms that are not received within the allotted semester (fall, spring, or summer) will not be posted. Exceptions will be made for deployed soldiers or corrections.

If you are using Tuition Assistance and withdraw from a course prior to completing 60 percent of the course, you may be required to pay a portion of the tuition in accordance with Department of Defense regulations.

For more information, contact your military branch for details on your eligibility and the branch's process for submitting the tuition assistance forms.

Other Programs

South Carolina National Guard College Assistance Program (SCNG CAP)

Those in the Army National Guard or Air National Guard wishing to receive these benefits must submit an application. Students may receive up to $4,500 per year in college tuition assistance.

How to Use Your Benefits

New Students

If you plan to utilize Veterans Administration benefits while enrolled in Columbia College, you will need to do the following as a first-time applicant:

  1. Apply for benefits. Please keep in mind that it usually takes the VA approximately six to eight weeks to review your application.
  2. If approved for benefits, students are sent a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). A copy of the VA COE needs to be sent to CCVA@mmmukg.com or faxed to 803-786-3646.
  3. If the student is transferring to Columbia College from another institution where benefits were utilized, the student must submit a Change of Program or Place of Training form to the VA through the VA Online Application system. Students enrolled in chapters 30, 33, or 1606 must submit form VA 22-1995. Students enrolled in chapter 35 must submit form VA 22-5495. A PDF copy of the submission confirmation must be sent to CCVA@mmmukg.com.
  4. Once enrolled with Columbia College and registered for classes, students must fill out a Request to be Certified form located on Koala Connection. This form needs to be submitted at the beginning of each semester. 

Returning Students

Each semester, returning students are required to submit the Request to be Certified form located on Koala Connection. Certifications will not be submitted automatically, and it is the student’s responsibility to submit the appropriate form in a timely manner.

Adding/Changing Majors

If you are adding or changing a major to your record, you must submit a Change of Program or Place of Training form to the VA. This can be done electronically through the VA Online Application system. Students enrolled in chapters 30, 33, or 1606 must submit form VA 22-1995. Students enrolled in chapter 35 must submit form VA 22-5495. A PDF copy of the submission confirmation must be sent to CCVA@mmmukg.com.

More Financial Aid Options

Additional financial aid programs and options are available to students from a variety of backgrounds and financial situations. Explore your options, and reach out if you need help.

We're Here to Help

Have questions about Veteran's Benefits? Meet our VA School Certifying Official, Tosh Greathree,  She's responsible for preparing and submitting all certifications to the VA, helps students exploring these benefits, and maintains a record on all students receiving the benefits for a minimum of three years. Reach out today—she's eager to help!

Phone: 803.786.3671
Email: CCVA@mmmukg.com